Decorative Paints Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA)
Financial performance was very strong across the region and we delivered significant growth in revenue compared with the previous year. This was driven mainly by positive price/mix effects, complexity reduction and cost-saving programs. The business also benefited from share gains in key markets and the DIY (do-it-yourself) boom which resulted from the introduction of COVID-19 lockdown measures.
We announced two deals as we moved to boost our presence in the region. In October, we signed a deal to acquire the decorative paints business of Spain’s Industrias Titan S.A.U. (to be completed in 2021). Titan – also present in Portugal – is one of Spain’s best-known brands. The business shares our commitment to sustainable product innovation, with much of its portfolio recognized for its environmental performance. We also completed the acquisition of Mauvilac Industries Limited in Mauritius, strengthening our footprint in Sub-Saharan Africa and boosting our position in the African market.
This was a very strong year in which we achieved significant growth in revenue.Jan-Piet van KesterenDirector of Decorative Paints Europe, Middle East and Africa
Other key developments
- Successfully launched Brave Ground, our 2021 Color of the Year, securing significant media attention and driving brand awareness and sales across the region
- Supported artist Sacha Jafri’s world record attempt to create the largest ever painting on canvas. His Humanity Inspired project aimed to raise $30 million for charitable causes around the world (pictured above)
- Launched Dulux EasyCare+, a precision-engineered interior paint which uses Scuff Resist technology to protect walls and keep them looking better for longer
- Hammerite Ultima was introduced in several markets. It’s a water-based exterior paint which can be applied directly to any metal surface without the need for a primer
- Our Ashington plant in the UK won the Coatings Care Overall Best Performer Award. The site had zero waste sent to landfill, with the waste recycling rate above the sector average, while the remainder was incinerated for energy recovery. Solvent emissions per ton of production were also among the lowest in the industry
- Simplified and harmonized our business model to reduce the number of different packs and unique formulations
- Accelerated our digital marketing and sales, which included the launch of a new web platform and fast scale up of our eCommerce activity, particularly in Western Europe